We are joined by Peter Sonnex of the Brexit Party, Maureen Martin of the Christian Peoples Alliance and Hoong-Wai Cheah of UKIP to discuss Christianity & UK Politics. We ask them:
- Why Christianity is important to them?
- How they think religion and politics should mix?
- How Christianity should inform policy?
- Should we have an established church, and how they think the CofE is performing?
- What should we be doing about Christian persecution abroad?
- What are their predictions for the future of Christianity in the UK?
- Peter was the Brexit Party Parliamentary candidate for Croydon Central in the December 2019 General Election
- A career soldier, Peter turned his hand to bus driving before becoming a Parliamentary candidate.
- More recently he has been a volunteer during the Covid crisis.
- Peter has been a guest on the Podcast and written for our website.
- Also spoke at our ‘My Tuppenceworth’ in 2019 about Decency, Democracy, Freedom and Freedoms.
- Maureen was (until they were postponed) a Greater London Assembly candidate for the Christian People’s Alliance (CPA).
- Maureen has run for parliament in Lewisham East in every election since 2015, which has included a by-election.
- We have previously spoken with Maureen for our website about what led her to run for the CPA, her experiences running and their priorities for London.
- Maureen has also written for us and her piece Locked Down and Locked out! Can be found on our website.
Hoong Wai Cheah
- Hoong Wai is the Chairman of the Croydon Branch of UKIP.
- In 2017 he stood for UKIP in Lewisham West & Penge in the General Election.
- He stood for the Croydon Council ward of Old Coulsdon in 2018
- We have previously spoken with Hoong Wai for our website about how he became involved in politics and his thoughts on politics in Croydon
- He has also appeared twice as a guest on the podcast discussing Libertarianism and “The future of Freedom & Liberalism”